Thursday, March 11, 2010

Intelligent...Memory?

Scientists have been pushing the limit, reducing costs by improving efficiency by breakthroughs in technology.

It's not always about the nanotechnology or a laser engraved technology, we take a lot of it for granted. Take the machine you're reading this on for an example...imagine going through the Kelley School of Business without a computer or laptop. Imagine going through K201 with a pen and pencil. Or maybe differential equations without a graphing calculator. The question is, are we being lazy and letting technology take over our lives? I've seen it happen with facebook or even a simple four function calculator...yes, I have tutored a girl that punched in 1...+....1...=.... well you can guess what the result is.

Holmes Rolston III questioned this in his article, "Technology versus nature: What is natural?" What is natural? Is it natural for us to live through virtual television or create a whole different persona on the web? It's kind of scary when they produce monsters such as child molesters you see getting caught over and over again on date line. According to Rolston, technology is essential for our economy. It is essential in our progress and survival, but it also is taking over our culture and creating a whole new different definition for the world "natural".

To me, when I hear "natural" I think organic, fresh, 100% juice kind of thing. Gaming experts however, their natural must entail flicking their thumbs at an invisible joystick.

To sum things up, technology is fascinating. It is ever changing and to a degree utterly unattainable. What scientists and innovators come up with in the next ten, twenty years I cannot wait. But I just encourage...balance.


No comments:

Post a Comment